Crossroads Church is starting a Tuesday night outreach church service at The Loft on November 11th. This ministry will be called The Upper Room. The Loft a 2nd floor nightclub/concert venue in Lansing that Crossroads will be renting out and will be “the show” for every Tuesday night. It is the premier concert venue in the Lansing area for local and traveling music shows. We will do our church service at 7pm followed be a free concert each week. The bar will be open as usual at The Loft and The Upper Room’s planning team will be purchasing a drink of choice (well drinks, beers, Red Bull, soda or water) for all first timers every Tuesday.
Church and alcohol can be a murky subject. Typically Christians hate murkiness so wildly swing to one extreme or another, without really taking into account what the Bible actually says and doesn’t say about alcohol. We have attempted to thoroughly dig into Scripture to find out exactly this. I’d love your feedback on what we can do to strengthen our document to make it even more biblical; please feel free to comment below or message me. If you’re interested in this topic or have objections, I strongly encourage you to read the entire document, which you can download here and at the bottom of the page. I was going to lay out the entire thing on this blog post but the length of it was pretty daunting in this blog format. Reminded me of one of my friend Jeremy Dowsett’s blog posts. So below I’ve included some bullet points that summarize what the longer document says. I hope they are helpful for you.
Also feel free to “like” The Upper Room on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. We also have an event page on Facebook for our November 11th Grand Opening if you’d like to RSVP. We’d love to have you there. And our website is www.ChurchAtTheLoft.com if you’d like to check it out.
(Scripture reference for all of the following points can be found in the full document)
- The Bible never says that drinking alcohol is a sin. We have several examples of Jesus and his disciples drinking alcohol. There are several other Bible verses that reference alcohol in a positive context. These passages indicate the alcohol Jesus associated with was indeed alcoholic and recreational and not simply medicinal or an antiseptic.
- The Bible is very clear that getting drunk from alcohol is a sin.
- The Bible tells us to follow the laws of our land so underage drinking of any kind is a sin.
- We do not expect anyone who is not a Christian to follow the Bible, whether that be in the area of alcohol, sex, or any other area. In fact, we are specifically told in the Bible not to judge non-Christians in any of these areas. If you don’t follow Jesus, there is no reason you would follow the Bible, and we don’t expect you to. We expect non-Christians to drink at the Loft on Tuesdays nights as they would any other time.
- We do hope to model responsible, biblical drinking. We hope to redeem the concept of alcohol and show how it can be used in a way that honors God. We want to remove the divide between “sacred” and “secular” by showing that if something isn’t sinful, Christians can partake in it and bring God glory in it, whatever it is.
- The Upper Room is not designed to be an event for Christians. If you are a Christian where being around alcohol would cause you to be tempted to abuse it or if you only associate alcohol with previous bad experiences with it, we are specifically asking you not to come to The Upper Room. We do not want to be a stumbling block to your faith or your walk with Christ. If this is you please join us at Crossroads Church on Sunday mornings, as that is an environment designed for everyone.
- We respect that the playing field is different for every person when it comes to alcohol as we have all had different life experiences with it. We ask those who need to avoid it (for risk of getting drunk or risk of judging Christians who are using it appropriately) to follow this conviction and not come to The Upper Room, while also respecting the biblical freedom Christians have who do partake in drinking alcohol.
Host of the The Flip Side Podcast
Join an online men's small group led by Noah at BeyondTheBattle.net
Latest posts by Noah Filipiak (see all)
- Ep. 19: The Flip Side is BACK! Topic: The Right Kind of Blindness - November 5, 2019
- Join the first ever Flip Side Book Club: Mere Sexuality by Todd A. Wilson - November 4, 2019
- The Lies of Lust: Stolen Humanity - October 21, 2019